We do not knowingly collect or process data from anyone under the age of eighteen (18) years old.
The information we gather
At various times you may give your personal data to us; for example, in order to send a request or inquiry from you to a property owner or manager, we may need to know all or some of the following: your full name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, your current location, and, in the case of a member's listing, a method of payment. You may also give personal data to us at other times, such as when registering on the Site(s) or when submitting an advertisement for a property. We may also gather information from cookies or web beacons. You can find out more about how they operate in the relevant section of this policy below. We also collect IP addresses, mobile device identifier details, your location, navigation and click-stream data, the time of accessing the website, homes you viewed, what you searched for, the duration of your visit, and other details of your activity on the Site(s). If you ask us to connect with other sites (for example if you ask us to connect with your Facebook account) we may obtain information that way as well. In connection with electronic communications we facilitate through the Site(s), we use electronic or manual checks to monitor such communications for trust and security purposes. For further details on how we collect personal data, see Surveys and Newsletters below. We obtain data from you either by you inputting your personal details, by the automatic collection of information about you as you use the Site(s), when we speak to you, or from third parties. Third party information may include financial information which we use to prevent and detect fraud, information from your mobile provider if you are accessing the Site(s) over a mobile device or information from a third party, including but not limited to, social media or travel opinions sites where you have asked us to share your data with them.
How we use your personal data
RMC's primary purpose in collecting your personal data is to provide you with the services you request and those which we believe will optimize your use of the Site(s). By using the Site(s), you hereby provide consent and agree that we may use your personal data for the following purpose(s):
- For the services or to support your request;
- To contact you from time to time with user or service updates;
- To send other messages that help us provide our services on the Site(s);
- To assist people you have done (or have agreed to do) business with. For example if you are an owner and a traveler who has booked or inquired with you needs your details we may pass them on; if you are a traveler and an owner you have booked with needs to contact you we may give them your details;
- To customize, measure, report on and improve our services, content and advertising;
- To promote services related to the Site(s) or those of the RMC companies and/or our affiliates;
- To compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties;
- To prevent, investigate or prosecute activity we think may be potentially illegal, unlawful or harmful;
- To meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request;
- To enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations;
- To detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues;
- To protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of RMC Property Management & Consulting, Inc., Hilton Head Accommodations, Inc., Resort Marketing Corporation, our users or the public as required or permitted by law; and
We collate statistics about the Site(s) traffic, sales and other commercial information which we pass onto third parties to assist us in improving the services we provide to you. We also use demographic information to tailor the Site(s) and we share that information with third parties so that they can build a better picture of our customer base and general consumer trends. If you are a member, we will also be able to contact you about your account and your use of our services.
How We May Disclose Your Personal Data
We may disclose your personal data to enforce our policies, or where we are permitted to do so by applicable law, such as in response to a request by a law enforcement or governmental authority, or in connection with actual or proposed litigation, or to protect our property, people and other rights or interests.
We may also share your personal data with:
- One of our partners if you've requested their services or if you've requested to be provided with information by them;
- Another member if you have done business with them;
- A third party performing services on our behalf;
- Companies in the RMC group and/or affiliates;
- Other companies or business entities, for example if we are thinking of a merger with or sale to that company or business entity;
- Other companies we work with to feature all or part of our member's property listings or otherwise provide promotional or other services related to our or RMC group's business. This might include featuring your listings and photographs on other websites;
- Any third party you have asked us to share your personal data with – such as Facebook if you have asked us to connect with your Facebook account; or
- Any legal or governmental entity pursuant to a subpoena or other legal request.
When you sign up as a member on the Site(s), you may receive our Owner/Guest newsletter or similar communication, which is an integral part of the services we provide. Users of the Site(s) will be given the option to receive our communication or newsletter when they register with us. RMC may offer different newsletters from time to time intended to enhance the services we or they offer. Users may cancel their subscription to these newsletters at any time, although it may take a short while for the changes in your preferences to become effective.
RMC also uses surveys to collect information about our Owners, Guests and Site(s) Visitors. From time to time, we request users' input in order to evaluate potential features and services. The decision to answer a survey is completely yours. We use information gathered from surveys to improve our services. We reserve the right to use your feedback and reviews for the purpose of promotion. Your personal information and identity will not be provided or associated with said feedback or review comments.
When you download or use mobile applications related to our Site(s) or companies we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as advertising, search results, navigational directions and other personalized content. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services. If you have questions about how to disable your device's location services, we recommend you contact your mobile service carrier or your device manufacturer.
Verbal Communications and Phone Calls
As well as collecting data online and from correspondence we may also speak with you face to face (for example at an Owner's meeting, guest confirmations, reservation clarification, etc.) by telephone, facsimile and or Electronic Mail (E-Mail). Verbal conversations may be recorded; you will be informed when and if that event or functionality is required and will be maintained under strict governance and protection standards. We adhere to all I-CANN and Do-Not-Call (DNC) regulations and procedures. If you do not wish for us to contact you via telephone, Facsimile or E-Mail, please inform us directly or Opt-out (Unsubscribe) via the provided functionality or link included in the e-mail header or footer.
Inquiries and other Electronic Communications
Owners, Guests and Travelers, may send inquiries to members via clickable links on the listings or opinions on the Site(s). Further, travelers and members may communicate with each other via tools on the Site(s) or RMC associated Blogs. If you choose to send an inquiry through these links, your personal information, including your email address and any other information you supply (unless the Site(s) specifies otherwise), will be visible to the member in question so that they might reply directly to you. Your details may also be sent to us and we have access to those communications, even if you contact the member directly. If members and travelers further engage in communications through the Site(s), we also have access to those communications, which we monitor for trust and security purposes. Additionally those inquiries and messages may be hosted on, be processed by or transmitted through our servers. If you engage in such communications and call the other party, you may be asked to leave a return telephone number. Do not share information in the e-mail or phone call that you are not prepared to allow such person and the RMC group to have, including but not limited to, credit card and bank account information. In addition inquiries and messages can be sent to the individual member you selected and to our system. Our customer service team may share such communications with members. We may also, from time to time, use third party e-mail servers to send and track receipt of such communications, and analyze the pattern of such communications for trust and security purposes, as well as, to gather data, such as inquiry and booking data (on an anonymous basis), to assist us in better understanding our business.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information Once We Have It?
We take reasonable technical and organizational measures to guard against unauthorized or unlawful processing of your personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal data. While no system is completely secure, we believe the measures implemented by the Site(s) reduce our vulnerability to security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved. We have security measures in place to protect our user database and access to this database is restricted internally. However, it remains your responsibility:
- To protect against unauthorized access to your use of the Site(s);
- To ensure no-one else uses the Site(s) while your machine is logged on to the Site(s) (including by logging on to your machine through a mobile, Wi-Fi or shared access connection you are using);
- To log off or exit from the Site(s) when not using it;
- Where relevant, to keep your password or other access information secret. Your password and log in details are personal to you and should not be given to anyone else or used to provide shared access, for example, over a network; and
- In order to maintain internet security it is also a personal responsibility. For example, if your email account or Facebook account is compromised this could allow access to your account with us if you have given us those details and/or permitted access through those accounts. If your email account is compromised it could be used to ask us to reset a password and gain access to your account with us. You should keep all of your account details secure. If you think that any of your accounts has been compromised you should change your account credentials with us, and, in particular, make sure any compromised account does not allow access to your account with us. You should also inform us as soon as possible, so that we can attempt to keep your account secure and if necessary warn anyone else who could be affected.
If you have asked us to share data with third party sites, however (such as Facebook) their servers may not be secure. Credit card information is generally stored by our credit card processing partners and we ask them to keep that data secure. We also use third parties to help us optimize our website flow, content and advertising (see below). Note that, despite the measures taken by us and the third parties we engage, the internet is not secure. As a result others may unlawfully intercept or access private transmissions or data.
What are Cookies, Web Beacons and Clear GIFs and Why Do We Use Them?
You may delete and block all cookies from this Site(s), but parts of the Site(s) may or will not work. We want to be open about our cookie use.
We gather and share information concerning the use of the Site(s) by members and travelers with one or more third-party tracking companies for the purpose of reporting statistics. To do this, some of the pages you visit on our Site(s) use electronic images placed in the web page code, called pixel tags (also called "clear GIFs" or "web beacons") that can serve many of the same purposes as cookies.
Web beacons may be used to track the traffic patterns, or click paths of users from one page to another in order to maximize web traffic flow. Our third-party advertising service providers may also use web beacons to recognize you when you visit the Site(s) and to help determine how you found the Site(s).
Phishing or False emails
If you receive an unsolicited email that appears to be from us or one of our members that requests personal information (such as your credit card, login, or password), or that asks you to verify or confirm your account or other personal information by clicking on a link, that email was likely sent by someone trying to unlawfully obtain your information, sometimes referred to as a "phisher" or "spoofer." We do not ask for this type of information in an email. Do not provide the information or click on the link. Please immediately contact us at Customer Support at 843-686-6662, if you receive such an email.
Job applicants, current and former employees
If you use the Site(s) to apply to work with us, we will use the information you supply to process your application and to monitor recruitment statistics. Where we want to disclose information to a third party, for example where we wish to receive a reference will not do so without informing you beforehand, unless the disclosure is required by law. Personal information about unsuccessful candidates will be held for twelve (12) months after the recruitment exercise has been completed, it will then be destroyed or deleted. We retain de-personalized statistical information about applicants to help inform our recruitment activities, but individuals should not be identifiable from that data. RMC is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all e-Verify requirements.
Once a person has started employment with us, we will compile a file relating to their employment. At that stage we will give you more details about how we hold employee details.
How do I opt-out of receiving marketing communications from you or from you using my personal information?
We will contact you from time to time for marketing purposes. Unless you have opted out, this could include contacting you by phone or email. You may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us or from our using your personal information, other than legally required disclosures, by the following means.
1. Contact us at 843-686-6662 or utilize the Opt-out functions provided in our electronic correspondence.
2. Follow the instructions included in each communication or newsletter.
3. Use the Unsubscribe function in our Newsletter distribution program.
4. Mail the request to us at RMC, PO Box 8048 Hilton Head Island, SC 29939-8048
RMC reserves the right to disclose public personal information to nonaffiliated or affiliated third parties.
Please remember that if you change your preferences it may take a short time for those preferences to become effective.
How long will we keep your personal data?
How do I contact you?